This almond flour cake is so light and fluffy, you won’t believe it is low carb! Made with just 4 ingredients, this is one show stopping keto dessert that takes minutes!
Almond Flour Cake
When it comes to almond flour cake recipes, my favorite ones to make are birthday cake, red velvet cake, and this easy almond flour cake.
Over the last few weeks, I’ve loved hosting my friends and family for a multi course dinner. There’s something special about sharing a meal with the ones you love. Of course, the best part of any dinner or meal is to end it with dessert. While I typically make some or a batch of blondies, I’ve recently loved making a simple almond cake.
It’s no secret I’ve been loving my almond flour. It’s become my new ‘go to’ baking flour, and perfect for all my gluten free and low carb recipes. As such, I’ve been meaning to share this almond flour cake recipe for quite some time. It’s one of the most easiest and foolproof desserts, and requires just 4 ingredients!
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is light, fluffy, and with a gorgeous crumb. It’s sweet and with a slight lemon flavor, without being overpowering.
I served this at a dinner last week to a few of my gluten free friends and NO ONE believed me when I said that it was low carb- They thought it was bought from a French bakery!
How do you make an almond flour cake?
- Almond flour– You must use blanched or superfine almond flour. While almond meal can work, it won’t yield a soft and moist crumb.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs and separated.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol can be used.
- Lemon zest– Grated from a fresh lemon. Do not use dried or freeze dried lemon.
- Powdered sugar and sliced almonds– Optional, but adds a delicious topping. I used keto powdered sugar, to keep it low carb.
In a large mixing bowl, start by beating the egg yolks and sweetener until thick and creamy. Add the almond flour and lemon zest and fold through until incorporated. Next, in a separate mixing bowl, beat together the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold through the egg whites into the batter until combined.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased cake pan. If using almonds, add them on top of the cake and bake them for around 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and firm.
Finally, let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before carefully inverting it onto a large plate. Once cooled to room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Tips to make the best keto almond cake
- Do not overbake the cake, as it continues to cook as it is cooling down.
- Be sure to use flaked/sliced almonds to top the cake, not whole almonds. The latter will sink into the batter while it is cooking.
- If you don’t follow a strict keto diet, you can use white sugar, coconut sugar, or superfine sugar.
- Feel free to add some shredded coconut flakes, for some coconut flavor.
Storing and freezing flourless almond cake
- To store: Leftover cake can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to 1 week. You can store the cake in the refrigerator if you’d like it to keep longer.
- To freeze: Place the cake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More almond flour dessert recipes to try
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine your almond flour, egg yolks, and lemon zest, and mix well. In a separate bowl, beat together your egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Fold through your egg whites until combined. Transfer the cake mixture into the greased cake pan and top with sliced almonds.
Bake the cake for 30 minutes, or until tender on top. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes, before carefully invert onto a plate and sprinkling with powdered sugar.
TO FREEZE: Place the cake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 1g