This healthy milkshake is thick and creamy, and clocks in at under 50 calories! Perfect for a healthy dessert and with over 6 flavor options to choose from!
When it comes to healthy desserts, my favorite recipes to make are brownies, cheesecake, and this healthy milkshake.
With the warmer weather already in full swing, I’ve switched my evening dessert options. Instead of my favorite cookies or baked goods, I’ve been resorting to something cooler. If I’m not having a few scoops of ice cream or a homemade popsicle, I’ll be enjoying a healthy milkshake!
Can milkshakes be healthy?
Well, milkshakes don’t necessarily have the best health wrap. If you order a milkshake from a cafe, fast food, or traditional restaurant, they are full of sugar, ice cream, and plenty of dairy. Just a quick glance at some available nutritional information, the average milkshake can clock in at over 500 calories for a small serving.
Luckily, you can easily make a healthy milkshake that has little to no sugar and also no need for any ice cream. I’ve been meaning to share a healthy milkshake recipe for quite some time. It’s proof that you CAN have a delicious milkshake without all the calories and sugar!
No dairy, no ice cream, and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is extra thick and creamy. The milkshake is sweet and full of chocolate flavor, you won’t even miss the ice cream!
My sister came over the other day and I made us a healthy milkshake and she could NOT believe they were less than 50 calories per serving- She thought it tasted like a Wendy’s frosty!
How do you make a healthy milkshake?
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk of choice can be used. For an extra boost of chocolate, you can use homemade chocolate milk.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened and Dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I used granulated allulose, but any zero calorie sweetener can be used.
- Ice– Gives the milkshake extra thickness, without adding any calories!
Start by adding all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until thick and creamy. Taste the milkshake and if it isn’t sweet enough, add a little extra sweetener. Blend once more, before pouring into two glasses and serving immediately.
Tips to make the best low calorie milkshake
- While adding ice thickens the milkshake considerably, it can affect the sweetness. Be sure to taste it before serving it.
- For extra creaminess, add the almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, blend the frozen milk cubes instead of ice.
- To take the milkshake up a notch, add a scoop of almond milk ice cream or serve with whipped cream.
While this healthy chocolate milkshake tastes delicious on its own, here are some other flavors for some fun!
- Vanilla milkshake– Omit the cocoa powder and use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Banana milkshake– Replace the ice with 1-2 frozen bananas.
- Oreo milkshake– Omit the cocoa powder and add 2 homemade or store bought Oreo cookies.
- Strawberry milkshake– Replace the ice with 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries. You can omit the cocoa powder if you wish.
- Avocado milkshake– Add 1/2 large avocado.
Storing and freezing healthy milkshakes
- To store: Milkshakes can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. Give the milkshake a vigorous stir before enjoying, as it would have separated.
- To freeze: Place the milkshake in ice cube trays or in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, simply re-blend until thick and creamy.
More healthy dessert recipes to try
In a high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend until thick and creamy.
Pour into two glasses and enjoy.
TO FREEZE: Place the milkshake in ice cube trays or in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, simply re-blend until thick and creamy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 43kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 3g | Calcium: 236mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 2g