This keto chocolate mousse is so smooth, rich, and creamy, you won’t believe it is low carb. Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s one foolproof keto dessert ready in minutes! 1 gram net carbs per serving.
Keto Chocolate Mousse
When it comes to keto no bake desserts, you can find me in the kitchen whipping up a cheesecake, tiramisu, and this delicious chocolate mousse.
It’s no secret that I love throwing a cheeky dinner party or gathering. There’s nothing more enjoyable than having some friends over to share a meal and of course, a decadent dessert. My friends now EXPECT dessert whenever they come over, and I always live up to them. While I usually make some brownies or some blondies, I’ve recently been making chocolate mousse.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto chocolate mousse recipe for quite some time. It’s been one of my favorite simple keto desserts to make, and I always have the ingredients on hand. Two of my friends are OBSESSED with this dessert, so I had to whip some up when they came over!
No sugar and no eggs are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, creamy, and silky. It’s sweet and full of rich and dark chocolate flavor, without being overpowering.
I served this last weekend at my dinner party and NO ONE believed me when I said that these were low carb- They thought it tasted like a full sugar mousse!
How do you make a low carb chocolate mousse?
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream. For the best results, let your cream sit at room temperature.
- Chocolate– Any sugar free chocolate can work. I prefer sugar free chocolate chips, as I like my mousse to be sweet. However, if you prefer an ultra rich and dark mousse, use a keto chocolate bar that has at least 78% cocoa content (like Lindt chocolate).
- Vanilla Extract– A must for any good keto mousse!
Start by heating up half your cream in a small saucepan, on low heat. Once it begins to simmer, remove from the heat. Place your chocolate into a large mixing bowl. Pour your warm cream over the top, and add the vanilla extract. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, before gently whisking it all together, until smooth and combined. Add the remaining half of the cream and fold through. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
When it’s done, remove the mousse from the refrigerator. Using a stick mixer, whip the mousse until stiff peaks form. Distribute the mousse amongst 4 large bowls or 8 small ones, and serve.
Can I make this dairy free?
Yes, this chocolate mousse can easily be dairy free, with a few simple swaps.
Instead of the heavy cream, use a plant based double cream. For the chocolate chips, use dairy free chocolate chips or chunks. I prefer the Enjoy Life brand of them.
Tips for the perfect mousse
- You can prepare the mousse for up to 3 days in advance. You can keep in the mixing bowl for
- Allow your cream to reach room temperature, before heating up in the saucepan. This avoids the sides of the pan burning, due to the cold cream.
- When beating the chilled mousse, stop as soon as stiff peaks form. Any more and the mousse will be too fluffy and will sink once transferred to bowls.
- Spread the chocolate mousse over some brownies, for a decadent dessert idea.
While this mousse tastes incredible on its own, here are some fun flavor variations for you to try!
- Espresso– Add 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder to the mousse.
- Peppermint– Fold through 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Orange Chocolate- Add orange zest and orange extract to the mousse, and serve with candied citrus peel.
- Coconut– Serve the mousse with coconut whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and shredded coconut.
- Strawberry– Fold through 1/4 cup sliced strawberries into the mousse (pre-blending) and top with sliced strawberries on top.
Storing and Freezing keto mousse
- To store: Mousse should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, to ensure no moisture seeps in. The mousse will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: You can freeze the chocolate mousse, by placing it in a freezer friendly container, for up to 6 months. Thaw the mousse overnight in the refrigerator.
More delicious keto dessert recipes to try
- 2 cups heavy cream room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate * See notes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
TO STORE: Mousse should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, to ensure no moisture seeps in. The mousse will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
TO FREEZE: You can freeze the chocolate mousse, by placing it in a freezer friendly container, for up to 6 months. Thaw the mousse overnight in the refrigerator.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 39mg | NET CARBS: 1g