This keto coleslaw is a simple and delicious side dish or salad that happens to be low carb! Made without sugar, it’s so addicting, it’s often referred to as keto crackslaw! 4 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Coleslaw (Crackslaw!)
When it comes to keto salads, my favorite recipes to make are broccoli salad, egg salad, and this keto coleslaw.
As someone who loves throwing extravagant dinner parties, my favorite thing to make is always the side dishes. It might come as a surprise to some, but whipping up a batch of appetizers, side dishes, and salads are much more exciting to me than the main dish!
Over the holiday season, I often have a barbecue with every single side dish you can think of! If I had to pick a favorite though, it would be the coleslaw!
Is coleslaw keto friendly?
Restaurant style coleslaw and store bought coleslaw is not keto friendly. The dressing that they use often has added sugar in them, and the amount of carrots that they use can throw someone out of ketosis! Luckily, you can easily make your own keto version with a fabulous keto coleslaw dressing!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto coleslaw recipe for quite some time. It’s a delicious side dish or appetizer that tastes so good, it’s often referred to as crackslaw! The texture is crispy, crunchy, and extremely creamy throughout. It’s fresh and tangy, with a hint of sweetness throughout.
I had some friends over for a BBQ the other night and served them this coleslaw on the side, and NO ONE believed me when I said that it was sugar free and low carb- They thought it was store bought!
Ingredients to make a keto coleslaw
For the coleslaw
- Green and purple cabbage- A combination of shredded green and purple cabbage. The former has a more subtle flavor and the purple is slightly sweeter.
- Carrot– Just a tiny amount of carrot used, to keep the carbs and sugar down.
- Green onion– Adds a tiny, peppery kick.
For the coleslaw dressing
- Mayonnaise– Full fat mayonnaise.
- Lemon juice– Just a pinch to balance out the creaminess.
- Keto maple syrup– Just a drop to amp up the sweetness. You can omit this if you prefer a tangy coleslaw.
- Dijon mustard– Gives a lovely subtle spice and some much needed tang.
- Horseradish cream– Optional, but recommended if you love a spicy and strong kick to the salad.
How do you make a keto coleslaw?
Start by adding the finely shredded coleslaw ingredients into a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, add the coleslaw dressing ingredients and whisk very well, until smooth. Pour the dressing into the vegetable mixture and mix very well, until fully combined.
Tips to make the best low carb coleslaw
- Finely shred your vegetables so that the dressing coats them easily and evenly.
- Prepare your coleslaw 2-3 hours prior to serving, to let the dressing soften the crunchy vegetables and let the flavor seep through.
- Feel free to add your favorite shredded vegetables for added flavors and colors.
Storing and freezing sugar free coleslaw
- To store: Leftover coleslaw can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The coleslaw will keep for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Do not freeze the coleslaw as when it thaws out, it will be limp and the dressing will be bitter.
What to serve coleslaw with
For the salad
- 1/2 small Green cabbage chopped finely
- 1/2 small red cabbage chopped finely
- 1 small carrot shredded
- 2 green onions trimmed and chopped
For the coleslaw dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp keto maple syrup optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp horseradish cream optional
In a mixing bowl, add your shredded and chopped vegetables and mix well. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add the dressing ingredients and whisk well, until combined. Pour over the salad and mix well.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to chill before serving.
TO FREEZE: Do not freeze the coleslaw as when it thaws out, it will be limp and the dressing will be bitter.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 61kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 1525IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 4g