This keto key lime pie is so thick, smooth, and creamy, you won’t believe it is low carb! No baking required, it takes minutes to put together! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Key Lime Pie
When it comes to simple and elegant keto desserts, my favorite recipes to make are cookies and cream cheesecake, cheesecake bites, and this keto key lime pie.
It’s no secret that I love hosting my friends at my place for dinner. There’s something special about everyone coming together for a meal and ending with an impressive dessert. I always try and change things up and often draw inspiration from my travels. While I tend to stick to a cake or some blondies, I recently made them a key lime pie.
What is a key lime pie?
A key lime pie is a classic American dessert made up of a biscuit base, a creamy filling, and topped with either meringue or whipped cream. It can come in several variations, like a no bake pie, crustless pie, and even a cheesecake style pie.
As such, I’ve been meaning to share a keto ley lime pie recipe for quite some time. It’s the perfect use of those fresh limes and it’s one elegant and show-stopping dessert. It uses simple ingredients and requires minimal prep. Now, this dessert may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is ridiculously easy. No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell.
The texture of the filling is thick, smooth, and incredibly creamy. It’s pleasantly sweet with hints of lime throughout, without being overpowering.
I had some friends over for dinner the other night and served them this pie and NO ONE believed me when I said it was low carb- They thought I picked it up from a dessert shop!
Ingredients to make a keto key lime pie
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this key lime pie. There is no baking required and you don’t need to worry about any eggs! Try to keep all ingredients at room temperature, to ensure they mix easily and have an even smoothness.
For the crust
- Keto cookies– Any mild tasting cookie can be used, to not detract from the cheesecake itself. Shortbread cookies, peanut butter cookies, and almond butter cookies can all be used.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I used monk fruit sweetener, but erythritol and allulose can also be used.
- Butter– Unsalted and melted butter, to hold the crust together.
For the filling
- Cream cheese– Room temperature and full fat. Do not use reduced fat or low fat varieties, or else it will not mix well.
- Keto condensed milk– Homemade sugar free condensed milk. If you don’t follow a strict keto diet, coconut condensed milk or traditional condensed milk will work.
- Lime juice– A must for any lime dessert. Try to use fresh lime juice and NOT from a bottle.
- Heavy cream– To lighten up the filling.
For the topping
- Heavy cream– As it is for a topping, heavy whipping cream can be used.
- Powdered sweetener– A keto version of powdered sugar.
- Fresh limes– For some extra citrus kick and to decorate.
How do you make a keto key lime pie?
Start by preparing your crust. Crush your keto cookies of choice, before adding the sweetener and the melted butter. Mix very well, before transferring to a 9-inch pie pan and placing it in the refrigerator to firm up. Next, prepare the filling by adding the cream cheese into a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat it until it comes smooth. Add the condensed milk and lime juice and beat until combined, before adding the heavy cream until thick and creamy. Pour the filling over the crust and refrigerate overnight, for it to firm up.
Now, once the pie has set, prepare the topping. Beat together the heavy cream and powdered sweetener until light and fluffy. Cover the pie with it, before decorating it with the sliced limes.
Tips to make the best low carb key lime pie
- Refrigerating the pie overnight gives it enough time to firm up and for the lime flavors to distribute evenly. If you are in a time pinch, 6 hours should be sufficient.
- If you don’t want to make your own keto cookies, any plain flavored store bought cookies can be used (i.e. graham crackers).
- Use a springform cake pan for easy removal of the pie.
Storing and freezing the key lime pie
- To store: This key lime pie should always be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place slices of the pie in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto pies and cheesecake recipes to try
In a large mixing bowl, combine your cookie crumbs, sweetener, and melted butter and mix together, until combined. Transfer into a 9-inch pie dish and refrigerate.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese until smooth. Add the condensed milk and lime juice and beat until combined. Add the heavy cream and beat everything together until thick and creamy.
Transfer the filling onto the chilled pie crust and refrigerate overnight, to thicken.
Once set, prepare the topping. Beat together the heavy cream with the powdered sweetener until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the pie and add sliced limes, to decorate.
TO STORE: This key lime pie should always be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
TO FREEZE: Place slices of the pie in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 27g | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 3g