This keto pizza casserole is loaded with low carb pasta, pizza sauce, sausage, and covered with two kinds of cheese! Simple ingredients and NO cauliflower needed, it’s delicious and wholesome comfort food! 5 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Pizza Casserole
When it comes to keto recipes using pasta, my favorites to make are lasagna, spaghetti, and this keto pizza casserole.
Growing up, there were a handful of dishes my mom made on the regular. Every week, my sister and I would be accustomed to some form of pasta, chicken and veggies, and fried rice. In between our usual suspects, my mom would have a few other dishes up her sleeve which she’d throw into the mix. Sometimes it was tacos, sometimes it was lasagna, and sometimes, it was our favorite pizza casserole.
Mom’s pizza casserole was easily the family favorite. She combined all the pizza flavors into a delicious pasta bake and topped it with plenty of cheese. When I first moved out of home, it became one of the very first things I made in my new kitchen. Since going keto, I’ve adapted her original recipe to give it a fabulous low carb makeover!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto pizza casserole recipe for quite some time. It’s the cozy comfort food dish I love to make big every couple of weeks and keep the leftovers for lunch throughout the week. Now, this casserole may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, it is SO easy to make!
Made with NO cauliflower, The texture of this casserole is full of al dente rotini pasta, a rich and thick sauce, and covered in two kinds of cheese. It’s meaty, cheesy, and slightly salty, from the extra pepperoni on top.
I had my mom over for dinner the other night and served her this low carb version of her famous pizza casserole and she could NOT believe how similar it tasted- Of course, she thought hers was better!
How do you make a keto pizza casserole?
- Keto pasta– I used low carb rotini pasta, which holds sauce and cheese so much better than other kinds of pasta. Any kind of keto pasta can be used, even homemade almond flour pasta.
- Onion and garlic- For added flavor for the sauce mixture.
- Ground sausage– A must for any good pizza inspired dish. If you can’t find ground sausage, you can use any ground beef or pork.
- Pizza sauce– Homemade keto pizza sauce, not any of the store bought ones that are full of sugar and unnecessary carbs!
- Parmesan cheese– A small amount is added to the base and also on top.
- Mozzarella cheese– Shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Pepperoni– To top the pizza casserole with.
Start by cooking the pasta as per the package directions, until al dente. Drain it and set it aside. Next, add some olive oil into a large pot or saucepan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground sausage and break apart and cook, until no longer brown. Add the pizza sauce and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes until it is simmering. Remove the sauce mixture from the heat and stir through the cooked pasta, along with the parmesan cheese.
Now, transfer the pasta into a greased 8 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese then the mozzarella cheese. Place the pepperoni on top and place the dish into a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden. Remove the casserole from the oven and cut it into pieces and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best low carb pizza casserole
- You can use any keto pasta of your choice. I like the Great Low Carb Bread company rotini pasta, as it cooks and tastes like real pasta. If you can’t find a suitable kind, you can use soy pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
- Feel free to add extra low carb vegetables to the sauce mixture, for added nutrients and thickness. Bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach are all great options.
- To lower the carbs, use only a single package of pasta and double the amount of sauce.
Storing and freezing the keto pizza bake
- To store: Pizza casserole can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover casserole in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave portions of the casserole for 1-2 minutes or place it in a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
More keto main course recipes to try
- 2 16 oz packs keto pasta * See notes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground sausage can use any ground meat of choice
- 1 batch keto pizza sauce ** See notes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pepperoni
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
Prepare the pasta as per the directions. Once al dente, remove from the heat and drain. Set aside.
In a deep pot or large saucepan, add the olive oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground sausage, break apart in the pan, and cook until browned. Add the pizza sauce and mix well. Let the mixture simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the cooked pasta into the sausage sauce mixture and mix until combined. Fold through half the parmesan cheese. Transfer the mixture into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, then top with pepperoni. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden.
Remove the casserole from the oven, before slicing and serving.
** If you’d like a thinner sauce, you can make a keto spaghetti sauce.
TO STORE: Pizza casserole can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
TO FREEZE: Place leftover casserole in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
REHEATING: Either microwave portions of the casserole for 1-2 minutes or place it in a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 23g | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 13g | Vitamin A: 186IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 156mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 5g