Learn how to make the best keto pizza using a simple dough that yields a chewy and golden crust! No yeast or cauliflower needed, freeze the prepared dough in advance for easy keto frozen pizzas. 2 grams net carbs per serving.
When it comes to giving a keto makeover to classic Italian dishes, my favorite recipes to make are lasagna, gnocchi, and this keto pizza.
If there is one fast food that takes the crown, it would have to be pizza. I am yet to find someone who does not enjoy pizza, regardless of whatever diet they follow.
Now, keto pizzas aren’t something new around here. In fact, I’ve even got my own fathead crust recipe already. However, I wanted something that didn’t require excessive amounts of cheese and eggs in the dough. If you do a quick search, you’ll notice most low carb pizza crusts or bases use this dough. That, or a cauliflower pizza crust. While delicious, none of those are like a pizzeria crust, and that needs to change now!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto pizza recipe for quite some time. It’s been something I’ve been working on for ages because I want this to taste like any good pizza out there- Pizza hut, Domino’s, and Papa John’s! There is no yeast needed and no resting time at all.
No grains and no cheese is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is slightly thick, chewy, but with a lighter crumb. It tastes like any good pizza crust, without any almond flavor whatsoever.
I had some friends over for a pizza night (and a few cocktails!) and served them this pizza and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was low carb- They thought it was like any good pizza out there!
How do you make a keto pizza?
- Almond flour– You must use blanched almond flour, not almond meal. The latter will yield a grittier pizza crust and will burn very easily.
- Baking soda– Leavens out the dough and helps it remain fluffy in the middle.
- Salt– A pinch to add some flavor.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Olive oil– Use a good quality and good tasting olive oil, as it really makes a big difference.
- Pizza sauce– Store bought or homemade keto pizza sauce.
- Toppings of choice– Use your favorite pizza toppings and of course, mozzarella cheese.
Start by adding the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stirring together, until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and olive oil until combined. Add it to the dry ingredients and mix well, before using your hands to knead it into a smooth dough.
Now, place the ball of dough onto a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper over it and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is around half an inch in thickness. Use your hands to smooth and even out the sides, until you are left with a pizza shaped dough.
Finally, place the dough onto a lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Pre-bake the dough at 180C/350F for 10 minutes, before removing it from the oven. Lightly brush olive oil around the exterior of the pizza dough, before adding the sauce and toppings. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
Tips to make the low carb pizza
- Brushing the edges of the pizza with olive oil will ensure the crust becomes golden brown.
- You must pre-bake the crust before adding the toppings, otherwise, it will be slightly raw and under-cooked.
- For a lower calorie pizza crust, you can make this 3 ingredient crust. It doesn’t need to be prebaked and can be made in advance.
Keto frozen pizza
Everyone loves the convenience of a frozen pizza, so why not have a keto option available too.
To make a frozen keto pizza, you’ll need to follow the same process as if you were going to cook it completely. However, once you pre-bake the crust, let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, add your sauce and toppings, and cover it completely with plastic wrap (saran wrap). Place it in the freezer and keep it there for up to 2 months.
To cook from frozen, simply place the frozen pizza into a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
Like any pizza, you can top it with any of your favorite toppings. Here are some of the popular ones.
- Margherita– Finely sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Vegetarian– Mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives, and tomatoes.
- BBQ chicken– Use a keto bbq sauce (instead of the pizza sauce!), shredded chicken, onions, and bacon.
- Meat lovers– Shredded ham, pepperoni, bacon, and sausage.
- Pepperoni– Double the cheese and add a thin layer of sliced pepperoni.
Storing and freezing the pizza
- To store: Leftover pizza can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place slices of the pizza in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the slices for 30 seconds, use a preheated oven (180C/350F) or even toast them up in a non-stick pan.
What to serve with keto pizza
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly grease a pizza pan or baking sheet and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and olive oil. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Using your hands, knead the dough until smooth.
On a flat surface, place a large piece of parchment paper. Transfer the ball of pizza dough on top of it. Place a second piece of parchment paper over it. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until a half inch in thickness. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and use your hands to shape the dough into a pizza shape and smooth out the crust.
Place the pizza dough onto the pizza pan and bake for 12 minutes, until firm.
Remove the crust from the oven. Top with the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. Lightly brush the sides with olive oil and place back in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden around the edges and the cheese has melted.
Remove the pizza from the oven and slice and serve.
TO FREEZE: Place slices of the pizza in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
REHEATING: Either microwave the slices for 30 seconds, use a preheated oven (180C/350F) or even toast them up in a non-stick pan.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 2mg | NET CARBS: 2g