These keto rolls are so soft, doughy, and fluffy, you won’t believe they are low carb! Made with just 4 ingredients, they are perfect as a warm dinner roll or even a slider! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
When it comes to homemade keto bread, my favorite recipes to make are naan, tortillas, and these keto rolls.
It’s no secret that when I’m craving comfort foods, I gravitate towards carbs. Before following a low carb diet, my comfort foods of choice would always be some kind of bread. There was nothing better than a white fluffy and soft bread roll, that I’d slather in butter or jelly and shove in my face.
When I first went keto, recreating my comfort foods was one of the first things I did. My comfort food cravings never go away, so I needed a suitable alternative. I experimented like crazy and came up with a few fantastic options. While I tend to satisfy my cravings with a slice of pizza or a soft pretzel, my all time favorite is bread rolls.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto rolls recipe for quite some time. They’ve been my go-to for years now, and I can’t believe how much they taste like actual bread rolls. It’s so easy to make, and you only need 4 simple ingredients and just one bowl.
No grains and no yeast are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is soft and fluffy on the inside, tender on the outside. They taste like any good bread roll, without any cheesy or almond flavor.
I had some friends over for a big dinner party for Thanksgiving and served them these rolls as an appetizer and NO ONE believed me when I said they were low carb- They thought they were bakery style dinner rolls!
How do you make keto bread rolls?
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour. Avoid using almond meal, or the rolls will not be fluffy.
- Shredded cheese– Low moisture mozzarella cheese is best, but you can also use cheddar cheese. I prefer mozzarella as it is very mild flavored and once made into rolls, has a very mild flavor.
- Cream cheese– Full fat and softened cream cheese. Dairy free cream cheese can also be used.
- Eggs- Room temperature eggs. These will be used in the dough and also brush the tops of them with, to give them the lovely shine.
- Baking powder– Optional, gives it some rise and fluffiness.
Start by adding your shredded cheese and cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave it for around 30 seconds, until the cheese is mostly melted. Whisk the two kinds of cheese together, until smooth. Let the mixture cool slightly, adding in the almond flour and eggs. Mix well, until a smooth dough remains.
Now, using your hands, form 8 balls and place them on a lined baking tray. Lightly brush the exterior of each of the rolls with the whisked egg. Bake the rolls for 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best keto dinner rolls
- These rolls must be enjoyed warm. If they are room temperature or even chilled, they will be dense and sturdy.
- Be sure your cheese mixture isn’t hot when adding the eggs in, otherwise they will begin to cook.
- For mini burgers, you can use these rolls as a substitute for slider buns.
- If you’d like garlic dinner rolls, brush the tops of the uncooked rolls with melted butter mixed with minced garlic.
Storing and freezing almond flour rolls
- To store: Leftover rolls can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place the cooled rolls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
- Reheating: You must reheat the rolls, as they are too dense at room temperature/cooled. Either microwave for 30 seconds or place them in a preheated oven until warm.
More keto bread recipes to try
- 2 cups shredded cheese mozzarella or cheddar * See notes
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 tsp baking powder optional
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large, microwave safe bowl, add your shredded cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the cheeses have mostly melted. Remove from the microwave and whisk together, until smooth. Let the cheese cool for several minutes.
When the cheese has cooled slightly, add in the almond flour and two of the eggs, and mix well, until a smooth dough remains.
Using your hands, form 10 balls of dough. Place them on the lined tray. Whisk the remaining egg and using a pastry brush, brush the exterior of each of the rolls.
Bake the rolls for 25 minutes, or until golden on the outside. Serve warm.
TO STORE: Leftover rolls can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooled rolls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
TO REHEAT: You must reheat the rolls, as they are too dense at room temperature/cooled. Either microwave for 30 seconds or place them in a preheated oven until warm.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 46mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 309IU | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 3g