These keto sausage balls are cheesy and juicy on the inside, and use simple ingredients! No Bisquick and no flour needed, they are low in carbs but full of flavor and ready in 10 minutes!
Keto sausage balls
When it comes to delicious keto appetizers, my favorite recipes to make are fluffy biscuits, spinach artichoke dip, and these easy keto sausage balls.
I definitely take after my mom when it comes to entertaining. I LOVE having friends and family over for dinners and parties and always ensure my guests are very well fed. This means that I spend the day before preparing a bunch of appetizers, entrees, and desserts.
While entrees are easy (I alternate between crack chicken and zucchini lasagna) and so are desserts (always brownies or a chocolate cheesecake), I tend to struggle with appetizers. See, my friends have this perception that keto appetizers are non-existent. They reckon besides a charcuterie board, options are limited.
That is FAR from the truth and actually, keto appetizers are some of the most delicious out there. I always have a few options for everyone (including the charcuterie board!) and my go-to recently, have been sausage balls!
This keto sausage ball recipe is the kind of recipe you’d make your non-keto friends to knock their socks off. It’s the kind of dish you can easily find a second stomach for and one you’ll be fighting others to eat the last one. Now, these sausage balls are a little bit different than mainstream ones, as it is made without Bisquick.
No Bisquik and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. They are soft and juicy in the middle and have a lovely tender exterior. They are cheesy and flavorful and with a hint of sweetness, without being overpowering.
I made these delicious sausage balls for a recent birthday event and everyone was OBSESSED with it- Everyone begged me for the recipe after!
How do you make keto sausage balls?
- Ground pork– While any ground meat can be used, ground pork is what is most commonly used in sausages. You can use ground sausage, too. I used lean ground pork as there are plenty of wet ingredients to keep the sausage balls juicy.
- Almond flour– Either blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour. If you’d like more tender sausage balls, you can even use keto bread crumbs.
- Baking powder– Adds structure and helps bind everything together.
- Cheddar cheese– Finely shredded cheese.
- Cream cheese– Full fat cream cheese.
- Sugar free maple syrup– Skip the expensive store bought kind and make your own keto syrup!
- Milk– Any milk works.
- Onion powder– Adds a subtle onion flavor without needing any onions (and keeping the carbs down!).
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Green onions– Adds a subtle peppery kick.
Start by adding all the ingredients, except for the green onions into a food processor and pulse several times until all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the green onions and pulse once more.
Next, use a mini cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to neatly scoop out portions of the mixture, then use your hands to shape them into balls. Place them on a lined baking sheet.
Finally, bake the sausage balls for 8-10 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 160C or higher. Remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
Can I make these in the air fryer?
If you own an air fryer, easily make air fried sausage balls.
Simply prepare the recipe as instructed and when they are ready to cook, lightly grease an air fryer basket and place the sausage balls at the base in a single layer. Air fry at 200C/400F for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat the process until all the sausage balls are cooked.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overbake the sausage balls as they are are prone to drying out. Once they reach an internal temperature of 160C and some are mostly tender on the outside, they are ready to be removed from the oven.
- Freshly grate your cheddar cheese instead of the pre-shredded kind. This will keep the sausage balls juicy and cheesy throughout.
- I add some keto maple syrup because I LOVE the maple sausage combination, but feel free to omit this completely.
Storing, freezing, and reheating low carb sausage balls
- To store: Sausage balls will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover sausage balls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave them in 20-second spurts until warm, in a preheated oven, or in the air fryer.
What to serve with sausage balls
Condiments are the key sidekick for these sausage balls. Some of my favorite keto condiments include ketchup, bbq sauce, honey mustard, mayonnaise, and even ranch dressing.
More keto appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
These sausage balls have less than 2 grams net carbs per serving. The carbs are mainly found in the almond flour used.
Depending on the brand of sausage, you can enjoy it on a keto diet. Just be sure it has no added fillers or preservatives in it.
- 1 lb ground pork or ground sausage * See notes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup keto maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 green onions chopped
Preheat oven to 210C/425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a food processor, add all the ingredients, except for the green onions, and pulse several times until fully incorporated. Add the green onions and pulse twice until combined.
Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop out equal size portions of the sausage ball mixture. Use your hands to shape them into balls and place them on the lined baking sheet.
Bake the sausage balls for 7-10 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160C.
Remove the sausage balls from the oven and serve immediately.
TO FREEZE: Place leftover sausage balls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
REHEATING: Either microwave them in 20-second spurts until warm, in a preheated oven, or in the air fryer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 13g | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 338mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 398IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 358mg | Iron: 3mg | NET CARBS: 4g