This recipe for a keto stir fry sauce hits all the flavor sensations- sweet, salty, slightly spicy and SO delicious! Made with just 5 ingredients, add it to your favorite stir fry and have dinner ready in 10 minutes!
Keto Stir Fry Sauce
This keto stir fry sauce recipe is something you’ll be making weekly. It will soon become part of your dinner rotation and one that you will pass on throughout the family!
This sauce is-
- Made with minimal ingredients, but extremely flavorful ones!
- Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, and easy to customize. Want it sweeter? Add more sweetener. Want a spicy kick? Add some chili sauce or hot sauce!
- Ready in two minutes, so you don’t need to waste time letting it thicken, and start prepping your vegetables and protein of choice!
- Super versatile and works with every kind of protein out there, including chicken, shrimp, beef, or even tofu.
I use this multipurpose sauce multiple times a week, and my go-to is my favorite keto stir fry– It is so satisfying!
How do you make a keto stir fry sauce?
- Chicken or vegetable broth– Instead of using water, using broth will make the sauce even more flavorful. It also cuts out any salt, pepper, or spices.
- Soy sauce– Standard soy sauce or gluten free soy sauce. Do not use dark or flavored soy sauce, as their flavors can be quite overpowering and often contain added sugars and carbs.
- Fish sauce– Adds a delicious and umami flavor to the overall stir fry sauce. Don’t worry about any fish flavors or tastes, as it is not evident at all.
- White vinegar– Adds an overall tanginess and helps the sauce stick to the protein and vegetables. Apple cider vinegar can also be used.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Every good stir fry sauce needs some sweetness to balance out all the salty flavors. To keep it low carb, use a keto powdered sugar or brown sugar substitute.
- Xanthan gum– Optional, but adding a dash of xanthan gum thickens the sauce considerably.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until combined.
To add to a stir fry- Cook your protein and vegetables until tender. Pour the sauce over them in the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and has reduced.
Dietary and flavor variations
Switch up the ingredients to make them suitable for various diets or some fun flavors!
- Make it vegan! You can easily get vegan chicken broth or if you’d prefer, stick to a plant based vegetable stock.
- Make it gluten free! Use gluten free chicken stock, gluten free soy sauce (or tamari) and gluten free fish sauce.
- Spicy stir fry sauce– Add 2 tablespoons of hot chili sauce or 1/4 cup of mild chili sauce.
- Healthy stir fry sauce– Use low sodium stock and low sodium sauces.
- Garlic stir fry sauce– Add 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (on top of any garlic you add to the actual stir fry).
Make ahead and freezing stir fry sauce
- To make ahead: Sauce can be made up to three days in advance.
- To freeze: Place prepared sauce in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. The sauce must be thawed completely and brought to room temperature before adding it to a stir fry.
More keto sauce recipes to try
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or any broth of choice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar substitute or granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until combined.
Add it to your favorite stir fry once the veggies and protein have been mostly cooked.
TO FREEZE: Place prepared sauce in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. The sauce must be thawed completely and brought to room temperature before adding it to a stir fry.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 13kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1226mg | Potassium: 66mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg