This keto taco seasoning is perfect to use on meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and every Mexican dish you can think of! Made with simple ingredients, there are no fillers or sugar needed.
Keto Taco Seasoning
When it comes to homemade basic pantry staples, my favorite things to make are ketchup, bbq sauce, and this keto taco seasoning.
Every 4 weeks, I hit up my large outdoor market and pick up a bunch of nuts, seeds, and spices. I love buying freshly ground spices and can definitely notice a difference with my food when I cook with them. While I buy all the staple spices to fill my spice rack, I also love mixing them to make various seasonings, including a taco seasoning.
Is taco seasoning keto?
While most of the ingredients in store bought taco seasoning is keto approved, unfortunately, many mainstream brands have added fillers and anti-caking agents in them which convert to carbs. Luckily, making your own takes seconds to make and tastes even better!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto taco seasoning recipe for quite some time. It’s perfect for using with meat, seafood, vegetables, or even salty and savory snacks. It takes seconds to put together and can easily be customized. It’s smoky, spicy, salty, and hits the senses all at once!
Stop buying expensive packaged taco seasoning and make your own- your Mexican dishes and snacks will taste next level.
How do you make keto taco seasoning?
- Cumin– The key ingredient to give the seasoning a lovely fragrant flavor.
- Smoked paprika– Gives a smoky and sweet flavor.
- Chili powder– Adds the spicy kick to it. You can also use cayenne pepper instead.
- Garlic powder– Not garlic salt, or else the seasoning mix will be too salty.
- Onion powder– Not onion salt.
- Salt– Only a minimal amount of salt is added to the mix, as depending on what recipe you will use this seasoning with, you will likely add more salt to it anyway.
- Pepper– Give a little extra kick.
- Red pepper flakes– Optional, but only add this if you’d like this to be a spicier seasoning.
Add all the spices into a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined. Transfer into a jar until ready to be used.
Tips to make the best low carb taco seasoning
- This seasoning is very forgiving, so feel free to adjust the quantities to suit your taste buds. I love a very fragrant seasoning, so I often double the cumin.
- Try to use spices that have not previously been packaged (e.g. McCormicks spice mix from the grocery store). These often have been packaged for a considerable amount of time and can have a less intense flavor. Opt for picking up the spices from a market or specialty grocery store.
How do you store taco seasoning?
- To store: Taco seasoning should be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, away from sunlight. The seasoning mix will keep well for at least 6 months. Do not keep it for any longer than that, or the flavor will begin to diminish.
Do not freeze the taco seasoning. It will clump up and once thawed, be crumbly and thick.
Recipes to add taco seasoning to
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder can substitute for cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes optional
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the spices and mix well, until combined.
Transfer into a sealable jar or container until ready to use.
TO STORE: Taco seasoning should be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, away from sunlight. The seasoning mix will keep well for at least 6 months. Do not keep it for any longer than that, or the flavor will begin to diminish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 5kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg