These keto zucchini fries are so crispy and crunchy, you won’t believe they are low carb! Made with just 4 ingredients, they are a healthy salty snack to enjoy anytime! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Zucchini Fries
When it comes to salty keto snacks, my favorite recipes to make are French fries, tortilla chips, and these keto zucchini fries.
I’ve always been a savory snacker and I hate to say this, I used to make very poor choices. See, I am the kind of person who can easily polish off a package of chips and that was something I did on many occasions. When it comes to portion control and salty snacks, my portion is the entire package. I’ve tried making healthier choices like having carrot sticks instead or filling up on a smoothie but it never works.
Since going keto, I’ve had fewer options but still, there are many keto snacks that pack in more fat and oil than traditional chips. Instead, I’ve been making homemade versions of my favorite snacks. As potatoes aren’t allowed on a keto diet, I’ve loved making fries out of zucchini!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto zucchini fries recipe for quite some time. They have been a healthier and low carb alternative to traditional potato fries. They take minutes to make and are seriously addictive. Now, these fries may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, they are so easy to whip up.
No grains and no excessive oil are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is long, thin, crispy, and crunchy. They are salty and slightly cheesy, without being overpowering.
I had some friends over for drinks the other night and served them these zucchini fries and NO ONE believed me that they were low carb- They were so delicious and crispy!
How do you make keto zucchini fries
- Zucchini– Use firm zucchini, not overripe ones. The latter will become quite limp and lose the ideal ‘fries’ texture.
- Eggs– To dip the zucchini in before coating it in the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture.
- Keto breadcrumbs substitute– You can use either crushed up Quest tortilla chips or pork crackles. I prefer tortilla chips, but both work well.
- Parmesan cheese– Use finely grated parmesan cheese, and NOT the kind in the dry grocery aisle.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
Start by slicing your zucchini into long and thin strips. Next, add your eggs to a small bowl and whisk them together. In a separate bowl, mix your breadcrumb substitute, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
Now, dip the zucchini in the whisked eggs, before dipping them in the breadcrumb mixture, until mostly coated. Place the zucchini on a lined baking sheet. Repeat the process until all the zucchini has been covered in the coating. Bake at 200C/400F for 20-25 minutes, regularly rotating them to ensure they become crispy on all sides.
Finally, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Yes, feel free to make these zucchini fries in the air fryer instead of the oven. Simply spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and cook at 200C/400F for 13-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Be sure not to overcrowd the basket, otherwise, the fries will cook unevenly.
Can I make zucchini fries without breading?
These zucchini fries become extra crispy thanks to the breading. If you’d like to make a version without breading, you may prefer to make zucchini chips instead.
Tips to make the best low carb zucchini fries
- Oven makes and models vary. If your fries aren’t super crispy, you can bake them a little longer.
- You must rotate your fries as they are baking, as we don’t want certain sides to be soggy.
- Feel free to add extra spices or seasonings to amp up the flavor.
- Serve the fries with your favorite keto condiments, like ketchup or guacamole.
Storing and reheating zucchini fries
- To store: Leftover fries should be stored in the refrigerator on a plate, covered, for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: Either reheat the fries in a preheated oven, air fryer, or even a non-stick pan.
Do not freeze the zucchini fries, as once thawed, they soften considerably.
More salty keto snack recipes to try
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups keto breadcrumbs * See notes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Slice your zucchini into thin matchsticks and set aside. In a small bowl, add your eggs and whisk them until combined. In a separate bowl, add your keto breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
Dip your zucchini in the egg mixture, followed by the spice and crumb mixture, and place on the lined sheet. Repeat the process until all the zucchini has been used up.
Bake the zucchini fries for 22-25 minutes, regularly turning so they become ultra crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
TO STORE: Leftover fries should be stored in the refrigerator on a plate, covered, for up to 5 days.
TO REHEAT: Either reheat the fries in a preheated oven, air fryer, or even a non-stick pan.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 474mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 558IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 3g